Driving car technology forward
A major automotive manufacturer needed to ensure vehicle data moved seamlessly between data centers and the cloud to fulfil the growing demand in the sector for driverless technology and predictive maintenance. Its autonomous vehicle project generated over 200TB of fast streaming data a day and needed active-active multi-data center ingest to keep clusters continuously in sync and available.
IBM Big Replicate, powered by WANdisco Fusion®, was found to be the only solution on the market capable of moving such continuously changing data sets with no downtime and no disruption. The automotive manufacture had previously tried dual ingest to simulate active-active but found it was too unreliable, admin heavy and unable to handle data created independently on each cluster.
- The automotive manufacturer is now confident it is set up to handle the increasing volumes of data produced as cars become smarter and the sector moves towards self-driving technology as the solution can scale as the clusters grow in size to over 400PB each
- The automobile manufacturer can now analyze data about how their cars are used – how fast someone drives or hits the brakes – which enables them to quickly pinpoint areas for upgrading and adjust the car appropriately with continuous synchronization with guaranteed consistency across clusters running under the load
- Full active-active read/write access to both clusters with automative recovery means data is continuously available
- Using such data also enables the manufacturer to better forecast their parts inventory optimizing the supply chain for dealers and improving customer satisfaction
- Their cars can now identify unusual events in real-time and proactively take actions on potential performance issues with predictive maintenance