12 MAY 2016
WANdisco unveils results from competitive evaluation with Cloudera BDR
WANdisco Unveils Results from Competitive Evaluation with Cloudera BDR
SAN RAMON, CA – May 12, 2016 – WANdisco (LSE: WAND) the leading provider of software enabling global enterprises to meet today’s data challenges of secure storage, scalability and availability, today announced the results of a recent competitive evaluation of WANdisco Fusion against Cloudera BDR (Backup and Disaster Recovery), covering both functionality and performance, undertaken by third party enterprise software testing firm Appvance.
In summary, Appvance recommended WANdisco Fusion, with its patented active-transactional replication technology over Cloudera BDR, for Hadoop data replication, backup and recovery.
“In our comparison tests of Cloudera BDR and WANdisco Fusion, we found WANdisco provides functionality, performance and availability not possible with Cloudera BDR,” said Frank Cohen, Founder, Appvance. “WANdisco Fusion’s replication technology avoids BDR’s risk of data loss with automated disaster recovery after outages, and ensures availability even when entire data centers go offline. This is especially critical in regulated industries where production data and current backups must be available at all times.”
- WANdisco Fusion’s active-transactional replication with automated forward recovery avoids Cloudera BDR’s risk of data loss and extended downtime after outages. Cloudera BDR runs in batch and requires the replication job to be restarted from the beginning after an outage
- WANdisco Fusion replicated the same data volumes up to 90% faster than BDR without impacting the performance of other applications running on the clusters
- WANdisco Fusion performed full cluster backups up to 37% faster than BDR, used 40% less memory and allowed clusters to be available for other applications while the backup was running. BDR resource contention does not allow other applications to run during a backup
- WANdisco Fusion ingests and replicates data at the same time, making it ideal for streaming fast data applications that require replication, unlike Cloudera BDR, which requires files to be written and closed
- WANdisco Fusion replicates data between Hadoop clusters running on any distribution, version and storage, including cloud storage. Cloudera BDR only replicates data between clusters running specific versions of Cloudera’s CDH distribution of Hadoop, creating vendor lock-in.
Download the full report
Learn more and download a free copy of Appvance’s complete findings in their report entitled, “Comparing WANdisco Fusion to Cloudera BDR, A Methodology and Results,” here.
About Appvance Inc.
Appvance provides Appvance UTP, the first unified automated testing platform makes Continuous Delivery faster, cheaper and better. Built from the ground up with agile and cloud services in mind, Appvance UTP meets the needs of both DevOps and Quality Assurance teams for speed, rigor and security. For the past 15 years Appvance Founder Frank Cohen has led performance and developer productivity evaluations of Integration, Web Service, Mobile, Storage, and Web app platforms. Appvance is a venture-backed technology company headquartered in San Jose, CA, with offices in Costa Rica and India and funded by Javelin Ventures, Staenberg Ventures, Social Internet Fund, FundersClub, Three Bridges Ventures and HB Asset Management. Learn more at www.appvance.com.
WANdisco is the world leader in Active Data Replication™. Its patented WANdisco Fusion technology enables the replication of continuously changing data to the cloud and on-premises data centers with guaranteed consistency, no downtime and no business disruption. It also allows distributed development teams to collaborate as if they are all working in one location. WANdisco has an OEM with IBM as well as partnerships with Amazon Web Services, Cisco, Google Cloud, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Microsoft Azure, and Oracle to resell its patented technology. WANdisco also works directly with Fortune 1000 companies around the world to ensure their data can give them the real insight they need.
For additional information, please visit www.wandisco.com.
VP Marketing & Communications