30 MAY 2013
WANdisco announces free webinar highlighting new features in Subversion 1.8
Leading Tech Industry Journalist Adrian Bridgwater Hosts as Core Subversion Developers Unveil Newest Major Release of Subversion
WANdisco (LSE: WAND), a provider of high-availability software for global enterprises to meet the challenges of Big Data and distributed software development, announced a free webinar, “Introducing Subversion 1.8,” scheduled for Tuesday, June 18 at 10 a.m. Pacific. Hosted by leading technology industry journalist Adrian Bridgwater, core Subversion developers Julian Foad and Philip Martin will unveil Subversion’s latest major release, focusing on significant new merge features.
With Subversion 1.8:
- Merges are automatic (“symmetric”) and Subversion determines which type of merge is necessary, simplifying the process and eliminating conflicts caused by users making the wrong selection.
- Symmetric merging handles changes simultaneously between branches rather than differentiating between the two merge forms – sync or reintegrate.
- Subversion rejects attempts to merge between unrelated branches, decreasing the likelihood of user errors that often result in conflicts.
- Subversion no longer requires the costly server set-up often cited in the past.
- Revision property packing and directory deltification, which reduce backup and restore times as well as the number of files stored, resulting in significant storage savings – up to more than 90% storage capacity savings.
- “This free webinar is further proof of WANdisco’s continued dedication to the Apache Subversion community,” said David Richards, CEO of WANdisco. “Attendees gain great insight by hearing directly from committers who created the software and being able to ask them questions at the end of the presentation. That is a rare opportunity.”
Attendees can register at http://go.wandisco.com/06182013_Introducing_Subversion_1.8.html.
WANdisco, a major sponsor of the Apache Software Foundation (ASF), has made Subversion 1.8 release candidates (RedHat, SUSE and Debian versions) available for free download at http://www.wandisco.com/subversion/download. The company will make certified and fully tested Subversion 1.8 binaries available for download as soon as the ASF announces their general availability.
About the Webinar Host
Webinar host Adrian Bridgwater is a freelance journalist specializing in cross-platform software application development as well as all related aspects of software engineering and project management. His work has been published in the Wall Street Journal, CNET.com, The Register, Dr Dobbs, ComputerWeekly.com, BBC World Service magazines, eWeek Europe, Imagine's Web Designer magazine, Linux User and Developer, and Silicon.com.
With over two decades of technology media experience, Adrian brings forward-thinking, impartial reporting to a professional technical audience around the world. His mission is to objectively inform, educate and challenge - and through this champion better coding capabilities and ultimately better software engineering.
Apache Subversion is an open source version control system founded in 2000. It is used to maintain current and historical versions of files such as source code, web pages, and documentation. In a 2007 report by Forrester Research, Subversion was recognized as the sole leader in the Standalone Software Configuration Management (SCM) category and a strong performer in the Software Configuration and Change Management (SCCM) category. The Subversion project and software have seen incredible success over the past decade and Subversion continues to enjoy widespread adoption in both the open source arena and the corporate world. Subversion is released under the Apache License, making it free software. For more information, please visit: http://subversion.apache.org.
WANdisco is the world leader in Active Data Replication™. Its patented WANdisco Fusion technology enables the replication of continuously changing data to the cloud and on-premises data centers with guaranteed consistency, no downtime and no business disruption. It also allows distributed development teams to collaborate as if they are all working in one location. WANdisco has an OEM with IBM as well as partnerships with Amazon Web Services, Cisco, Google Cloud, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Microsoft Azure, and Oracle to resell its patented technology. WANdisco also works directly with Fortune 1000 companies around the world to ensure their data can give them the real insight they need.
For additional information, please visit www.wandisco.com.
VP Marketing & Communications