Thread: E210003: connection refused by the server

E210003: connection refused by the server

I have been using SmartSVN for a couple of months in order to decide what subversion client will be the right one in the future. At present I have version 7.5 RC2 but alongside I also have version 7.0.7. License type is Foundation.

Until now I have been able to checkout, add, commit, in other words do all the most common stuff without any problem. However I now get an error when trying to access the repository:
    "E210003: connection refused by the server"

The only changes in my environment that I can think of is update to ML 10.8.2, and also the subversion server itself. The server version is on a QNAP NAS and svn --version reports:
    "svn, version 1.7.7 (r1393599)
    compiled Oct 10 2012, 04:31:19

Copyright (C) 2012 The Apache Software Foundation."

Nothing else has been changed like network settings, firewall etc.

Here is an excerpt from the console's connection log:
    "2012-11-04 10:07:29.763 3225 [WorkerThread-3@308AB721] DEBUG(svnkit-wc): svn: E155021: The path '/Users/ahmbp/Documents/WOCO-QNAP/docs' appears to be part of a Subversion 1.7 or greater
    working copy. Please upgrade your Subversion client to use this
    working copy.
    2012-11-04 10:07:29.852 3314 [Transaction-Refresher (main)-1@34ADCAE8] DEBUG(svnkit-network): svn: E210003: connection refused by the server
    2012-11-04 10:07:29.858 3320 [Transaction-Refresher (main)-1@34ADCAE8] DEBUG(svnkit-network): Connection refused
    java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused"

Why does it say "Please upgrade your Subversion client"? SmartSVN has no newer version that I am aware of.

Any ideas?

Online Operations Site Admin
    Hi there,

Did you update your working copy after upgrading Subversion? This is a manual step after the introduction of Subversion 1.7, see the release notes here for how to do it. Alternatively you can just perform a new checkout.
    Mand Beckett
    WANdisco

Read the WANdisco blog for Subversion, uberSVN and SmartSVN tips and tricks | Find me on Twitter

Unfortunately Mand I am too much of a newbie to understand the instructions you quote on how to upgrade the subversion library. So I chose the easy way, performed a new checkout. However, first I carefully copied my already locally changed documents to a safe place and then copied them back after the checkout. In that way I got status of modified and commit worked.
    Lessons learned: Never upgrade the subversion server without first having committed your work, is that correctly understood? Am I right in that no matter what local client I would have used in this scenario (SmartSVN, Cornerstone whatever) I would have got the same error message?

Online Operations Site Admin
    Yeah, you would have got an error in any client when doing this. This is because working copy format changed considerably in Subversion 1.7 (prior to that you wouldn't have needed the manual step).
    Mand Beckett
    WANdisco

Read the WANdisco blog for Subversion, uberSVN and SmartSVN tips and tricks | Find me on Twitter