Thread: Slow Checkout with SVN 1.7 w/ Tortoise

Slow Checkout with SVN 1.7 w/ Tortoise

Hi All,

I'm experiencing some slow checkout times with SVN 1.7 using TortoiseSVN. I'm getting speeds around 140kb/s with repositories that have many directories. However when I create a test repository with just one file that's 1.8GB, i'm getting speeds around 5000kb/s. Is there a setting I can use that will allow faster checkouts with repositories that have many directories?

Online Operations Site Admin
    Hi there

Do you get the same slowdowns when using the command line?
    Mand Beckett
    WANdisco

Read the WANdisco blog for Subversion, uberSVN and SmartSVN tips and tricks | Find me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Mand View Post
    Hi there

Do you get the same slowdowns when using the command line?
    I did

tortoiseproc.exe /command:checkout /path ... /url ...

and the performance is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by neoweapon View Post
    I did

tortoiseproc.exe /command:checkout /path ... /url ...

and the performance is the same.
    No, use the actual command-line client. svn.exe. Using tortoiseproc.exe is no different from using the shell extension via your mouse.

You're seeing 2 potential problems. One is server-side, the other client side. GUI vs. command-line will test the client side.

The server side "problem" is that when using HTTP to access the repository, each path you request is a separate HTTP request to the server, and each one requires running the path-based authorization checks. When you check out a single large file, that overhead is overshadowed by the file size itself, and you get a lot of opportunity for the traffic to be streamlined.

You can try using serf instead of neon (or vice versa) for HTTP, but you likely won't see a major improvement there.

When you're checking out, only check out what you need to work on. Very rarely does anyone have to check out a "repository" - it's always a subset of the repository.
    I am neither an employee nor customer of WANDisco.

Quote Originally Posted by andyl View Post
    No, use the actual command-line client. svn.exe. Using tortoiseproc.exe is no different from using the shell extension via your mouse.

You're seeing 2 potential problems. One is server-side, the other client side. GUI vs. command-line will test the client side.

The server side "problem" is that when using HTTP to access the repository, each path you request is a separate HTTP request to the server, and each one requires running the path-based authorization checks. When you check out a single large file, that overhead is overshadowed by the file size itself, and you get a lot of opportunity for the traffic to be streamlined.

You can try using serf instead of neon (or vice versa) for HTTP, but you likely won't see a major improvement there.

When you're checking out, only check out what you need to work on. Very rarely does anyone have to check out a "repository" - it's always a subset of the repository.

I did the command line and it was still slow. Even when i do a show log it takes about over 2 minutes for it to populate.

Online Operations Site Admin
    So you have a problem on the server side, and should follow andy's advice given above.
    Mand Beckett
    WANdisco

Read the WANdisco blog for Subversion, uberSVN and SmartSVN tips and tricks | Find me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Mand View Post
    So you have a problem on the server side, and should follow andy's advice given above.
    No go, server is still slow on checkout.

Quote Originally Posted by neoweapon View Post
    No go, server is still slow on checkout.
    That's the point. Your problem isn't the client (although you haven't said whether you've tried both neon and serf), but rather the server or authorization configuration.
    I am neither an employee nor customer of WANDisco.