Thread: New uberSVN User/Team tab wireframes

uberSVN Product Manager Site ModeratorSite Admin

New uberSVN User/Team tab wireframes

Hi,

We've listened to our customers and we understand that LDAP is important to larger organisations. Easy loading of users, creation of teams and the ability to create and link resources to those teams is essential to kick start the build of your Subversion environment. But, adding 10-30 users without LDAP is quite difficult right now and we need to target those types of scenarios. Another factor is that you may also want to create teams that don't have specific Subversion repositories associated to them. For instance, you could create a group and set tab visibility/UI visibility from the same page. A team = a group = a label = a collection of users or objects. Jenkins is an example of this.

With this in mind, we've proposed a re-design of our Users/Teams tab - ultimately, we feel that both these tabs should be closer to each other and could consume the same view.

Team profile page, the User profile page will be similar
    team profile.jpg

User/Team dashboard page
    User tab.jpg

Other key features:

- Extendable UI for groups, plugins and subversion teams (scroll right for more groups with left pane frozen)
    - Understand permissions across your ecosystem - set permissions for all users across all groups in a single view
    - Extend permissions outside uberSVN UI access and Subversion repositories, set the Jenkins UI permissions or any other plugin
    - View the source of the users and whats managing their authentication (e.g. LDAP1, LDAP2, password file, locally managed)
    - A new profile page for Teams and Users with ability to edit fields on the page (akin to SalesForce attributes)
    - Improved relevance of the social feed - call out users, message specific groups
    - A war on slow page load times and ability to select items without a full page re-load

Future phases (once the template is in place):

- Move repo creation and management closer to Team/Group/User creation

So we'd like to know what you think, take a look at the wireframes and post your comment. We hope to start building this functionality (along with many other features and enhancements) over the next 3 months.

Thanks,
    Rich

uberSVN Product Manager
    Last edited by RichSmol; 04-27-2012 at 04:35 AM.

Administrator Site ModeratorSite Admin
    Looking good, Rich. Couple of points...

1) Team and User profile page - The 'Add' buttons need to be above the user and repository tables. That way the user doesn't need to scroll down the page to perform the action. Possibly relocate these buttons to the right of the table headers? While we're at it, add a header for the repository list too.

2) User/Team dashboard page - Consider pagination or some other way to cap the amount of content being rendered on the page. Consider a lot of users and/or lot of teams and the amount of time it will take the local browser to render all that information. Especially when each row also has multiple dropdowns associated. You may find that when a large amount of objects are being loaded up, the local browser could lock or altogether crash. I've seen this on other web-based user administration products where many users were presented in a single list.

Wayne

Yeh, totally agree with point1. The action buttons should be visible from a single 'toolbox' type area or stationed above their respective areas.

Point2 is going to be the source of much debate I feel. Pagination isnt really scalable in this situation. As a 'lord of the manor' admin I would like to see all my users on that page and freely scroll across, up and down with the multi-select options visible for all. Thats the only way I can get a holistic view of whats going on. I'd like to think that we could come up with an innovative way of solving that problem instead of being bound by the same UI restrictions we've lived with thus far, even if that means setting a new expectation for the minimum hardware requirements.

Rich

Senior Member Site ModeratorSite Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by RichSmol View Post
    Yeh, totally agree with point1. The action buttons should be visible from a single 'toolbox' type area or stationed above their respective areas.

Point2 is going to be the source of much debate I feel. Pagination isnt really scalable in this situation. As a 'lord of the manor' admin I would like to see all my users on that page and freely scroll across, up and down with the multi-select options visible for all. Thats the only way I can get a holistic view of whats going on. I'd like to think that we could come up with an innovative way of solving that problem instead of being bound by the same UI restrictions we've lived with thus far, even if that means setting a new expectation for the minimum hardware requirements.

Rich
    You could probably do something like show the first 50 users in the list and then lazy-load more when you scroll to the bottom. I think we do similar things in AC.
    Mat Booth
    Software Engineer
    WANdisco, Inc.

I joined the blog-o-web-o-sphere! Linux and Coding Blog

How To Ask Smart Questions

Quote Originally Posted by mbooth View Post
    You could probably do something like show the first 50 users in the list and then lazy-load more when you scroll to the bottom. I think we do similar things in AC.
    +1

The filter should still work across the full list though, even if this isn't queried/rendered by default. Once scrolling becomes unfeasible (because the list becomes too long) the filter becomes more and more useful that way. Users should also be able to filter by everything that would normally be displayed on this screen: usernames, team names, permission levels, etc.

Filtering by repo location would make a lot of sense too, but that'd probably be for a future release.

- Joe

Overhauled Team Profile

We've done some further work on the general layout of uberSVN, and updated the team profile page accordingly:

While the profile itself remains mostly unchanged (1), the UI makes a move away from the many tabs it relied on previously and instead moves this navigation into a persistent meta-navigation section at the top of every page. This handles links to the Apps, uberAPPs store, login / user preferences and Administration (when logged in as an Admin).

(1) batch select / change / remove functionality was added, quick add of users and repos is enabled through text boxes the same way it's set up currently in uberSVN
    Last edited by jdreimann; 06-26-2012 at 08:45 AM. Reason: updating attached image

If is it possible, it would be a good idea configure "uberSVN portal" to show/hide from main page the "uberAPPS" tag (for all non administrative users/teams).
    Obviously I hope, the Administrator still having the chance to access the tag and make requests for APPS.
    Or just be carefull and show info about the products, services but hide the "Request" button.

Hi Ruben - thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes - I would expect all the links within the main navigation pane to be customisable per installation. We havent built an area where you can customise/define what each uberSVN permission level can see but that is certainly a useful suggestion. Once we move to a link based approach as opposed to a tab based approach things like this become far easier to implement.

Rich