Thread: merge everything into trunk, no questions asked.

merge everything into trunk, no questions asked.

Hi,

I have a branch, (BranchA) and I want to re-integrate it into trunk.
    but somehow, (almost certainly because of something I did), trunk is now a huge mess with 1000 of conflicts, (almost all of them 'tree' conflicts).

So now I want to merge BranchA into trunk, no questions asked, whatever file is in BranchA then it must be added/merged into trunk, whatever directory/file does not exist should be deleted.

Or, if I do a merge I want all the conflicts to be resolved with , "use theirs".

Even better would be to manually copy the files, delete whatever needs to be deleted and mark trunk as 'merged up' to branchA revision.

Any sugestions on how I could rescue my trunk?

Thanks

FFMG

Online Operations Site Admin
    Hi there,

Does the trunk contain anything that you want to preserve that *isn't* on the branch? If not you could just replace trunk with branchA.

If the answer to the above is yes you could use svn resolve to accept all conflicts, then use reintegrate to merge the branch into the trunk.
    Mand Beckett
    WANdisco

Read the WANdisco blog for Subversion, uberSVN and SmartSVN tips and tricks | Find me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Mand View Post
    Does the trunk contain anything that you want to preserve that *isn't* on the branch? If not you could just replace trunk with branchA.
    Nope, I want trunk to look exactly like branchA.
    How do I replace trunk with branchA? and also, if I make more changes to branchA, will I be able to merge those changes to trunk?

If the answer to the above is yes you could use svn resolve to accept all conflicts, then use reintegrate to merge the branch into the trunk.
    I'll try and have a look at those, although I don't have anything in trunk worth keeping, it might be useful for future issues.

FFMG

Hi there,

Hum,

nothing seems to work, svn is adement that I need to merge some old revisions and that's causing a bunch of conflicts.
    I wish I could delete my trunk completely but every time I recreate it, svn wants to 'merge' something or other.

It would be great if I could tell it that it is merged up to a certain revision so at least it would not try to get some random versions that are causing a vast amount of tree conflicts.

I cannot even force a merge, (using 'theirs'), because I have to tree conflicts. So if I resolve using the working directory then the merge history seems to be lost somewhere and all the conflicts are ignored, including the '<<<<working' code.

if I try to do a dump of the repo, (to remove trunk once and for all), I get a "Serialized has missing terminator" after revision 213, and no obvious way of fixing that issue.

FFMG

You could use svn merge --ignore-ancestry trunk-url branch-url

or you could move the old trunk somewhere else and then move the branch to trunk:

svn move https://SVNUrl/svn/Repo/trunk https://SVNUrl/svn/Repo/branch/oldtrunk
    svn move https://SVNUrl/svn/Repo/branches/BranchA https://SVNUrl/svn/Repo/trunk
    Mand Beckett
    WANdisco

Read the WANdisco blog for Subversion, uberSVN and SmartSVN tips and tricks | Find me on Twitter

Thanks for all the replies. I am still having issues but it is not practical to ask them on this forum.

It is a shame that moderation is so slow here, I've had to look on other forums for help as it takes about a day for a reply to be moderated here, (one of the replies still has not appeared).

Anyhow, many thanks for the help.

FFMG

Sorry about the moderation time, I didn't realise your post was awaiting moderation.

Do you care about preserving the revision history here? If not you could kill the repo and start a new one with your branchA as trunk?
    Mand Beckett
    WANdisco