Thread: ck editor for uberSVN

ck editor for uberSVN

Will ck editor work with uberSVN?

Just downloaded uberSVN.

Can you install ck editor like plugin in the tabs?

I need revision tracking but also need a wsywg editor for non technical people to use like word.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

alex

Senior Member Site ModeratorSite Admin
    I don't know what ck editor is, but if it's a web application, you can certainly add a tab that points the URL where the application is hosted.
    Mat Booth
    Software Engineer
    WANdisco, Inc.

I joined the blog-o-web-o-sphere! Linux and Coding Blog

How To Ask Smart Questions

It is a wsysiwyg editor for web pages and I need both revision tracking and an editor

You can use whatever editor you like. Subversion doesn't have any deep knowledge about the data that you choose to keep in the repository.
    Mat Booth
    Software Engineer
    WANdisco, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by mbooth View Post
    You can use whatever editor you like. Subversion doesn't have any deep knowledge about the data that you choose to keep in the repository.
    I think he's looking to use ck editor on a web page as a front-end to some sort of CMS which then stores its content in Subversion.

Or possibly allow direct editing of content in a repository via the web server, using this editor instead of a plain textarea.
    I am neither an employee nor customer of WANDisco.

Quote Originally Posted by andyl View Post
    I think he's looking to use ck editor on a web page as a front-end to some sort of CMS which then stores its content in Subversion.

Or possibly allow direct editing of content in a repository via the web server, using this editor instead of a plain textarea.
    If ck editor has Subversion integration, then sure but as I say, I don't know anything about ck editor. If it doesn't have Subversion integration, you presumably still need to manage a working copy in the normal way.
    Mat Booth
    Software Engineer
    WANdisco, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by andyl View Post

Yes , that is exactly what I need to do.

Quote Originally Posted by iamalex View Post
    Yes , that is exactly what I need to do.
    Which one? I put forth 2 possibilities.

Either way, the editor doesn't matter, as that won't interact with the repository at all. You need code on the server to take the content submitted via the editor, update the content in a working copy, then commit it to the repository.

There are other/better ways than using Subversion for this, you really ought to be using a purpose-built CMS (Content Management System).

I think he's looking to use ck editor on a web page as a front-end to some sort of CMS which then stores its content in Subversion

this one but I think your right for what they want. However they don't want a cms either has already have a system built and want to integrate some kind of editor and revision history into it. I've got a headache already.

Quote Originally Posted by iamalex View Post
    this one but I think your right for what they want. However they don't want a cms either has already have a system built and want to integrate some kind of editor and revision history into it. I've got a headache already.
    Choose the right tool for the job, not the tool that you built before you understood what the job was in the first place.

A CMS is the right tool here. If you're going to proceed without a CMS, then (as I wrote before) the choice of editor is really inconsequential when it comes to the Subversion operations, as that's all handled by server-side operations in a working copy when you submit the data via your form.