Thread: Can TortoiseSVN do this?...

Can TortoiseSVN do this?...

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a version control system to fit this book editing use case:

Step 1: An author checks in her manuscript.

Step 2: An editor edits the author's manuscript (with Word's "Track Changes" feature on).

Step 3: The author looks at the editor's changes (thanks to the "Track Changes" feature), rejecting some and also adding new text.

Step 4: We want to compare the author's new version (resulting from Step 3) to the author's original manuscript (in Step 1). We want a report of *only* the author's changes and # of words changed (none of the editor's changes in Step 2), since we bill for the new words she adds in Step 3.

If this is possible with TortoiseSVN, how can I do it? If not, what other system(s) can I use?

Thanks for your help!

"Track Changes" is kind of redundant when you're using Subversion. And in the scenario you outline, combining the two may actually make steps 1-3 a lot messier.

TortoiseSVN (and just about any other tool) can't do direct comparisons of versions of Word documents because they're binary files and no one except Microsoft has a perfect Word document reader. When you invoke Diff in TortoiseSVN for a Word document, it's actually telling Word to open 2 files using Word's built-in Compare Documents feature.

Because of this, step 4 becomes a major effort each time you want to do it - to automate it (which you'd want to do, else you'll be spending considerable time doing the accounting on each cycle), you'd need to do some custom scripting/automation of Word itself.

I strongly recommend you look at completely different tool. It may be something that can be wedged into Sharepoint with some custom development work.
    I am neither an employee nor customer of WANDisco.

Ahh okay, thanks so much Andy. I'll consider how to simplify and will look into other tools (can't afford Sharepoint).

If your company qualifies for BizSpark, you can get it a lot cheaper.

Senior Member Site ModeratorSite Admin
    On the other hand, Subversion is very good at diff-ing plain text based formats. Have you considered preparing your manuscripts with DocBook or LaTeX instead of Word?
    Mat Booth
    Software Engineer
    WANdisco, Inc.

I joined the blog-o-web-o-sphere! Linux and Coding Blog

How To Ask Smart Questions

@andyl I just read Microsoft's BizSpark website, and it sounds like one needs to be a tech startup to qualify. Or is it broader than that?

@Mat By preparing, do you mean running the Word docs through DocBook or LaTeX, and *then* comparing them? I've not used those tools before, but I'm open to it!

Thank you again guys.

Senior Member Site ModeratorSite Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by bookeditor View Post
    @Mat By preparing, do you mean running the Word docs through DocBook or LaTeX, and *then* comparing them? I've not used those tools before, but I'm open to it!

Thank you again guys.
    I mean not using Word at all
    Mat Booth
    Software Engineer
    WANdisco, Inc.

I joined the blog-o-web-o-sphere! Linux and Coding Blog

How To Ask Smart Questions

Quote Originally Posted by bookeditor View Post
    @andyl I just read Microsoft's BizSpark website, and it sounds like one needs to be a tech startup to qualify. Or is it broader than that?
    I honestly don't know what the BizSpark details are. I've seen it mentioned in discussions about small companies & how they get an MS-heavy environment off the ground with limited funds.