Thread: Rename folder without making users re-checkout folder

Rename folder without making users re-checkout folder

Is there a way in SVN, Tortoise or Smart, to rename a folder in the repository without having to make all the users re-checkout the newly named folder? When I rename a folder, a user can't do a simple SVN Update to get the new name, it says 'Target path does not exist'. I know checking out the whole repository would allow you to just update from the top and get any name changes, but the repository is huge.

svn switch

If this directory is within a larger-scoped working copy, updating the parent directory will work.

andy, thanks, I hope Iím not missing your point, but the name change i'm referring to is at the top level of a project folder, so users who only check out a small number of project folders to their pc, can't simply update their workingcopy folder to get any name changes below; their workingcopy folder is essentially just a folder in our case, it has no synchronization with the svn repository.

I looked at switch, is that the solution?

Hi,

I have almost the same problem. I created a repository, imported code, and checked it out to a working directory. Then I learnt about trunks, branches and tags, so moved all my files from root to /trunk. I made a change to a file in my working directory. svn diff correctly identifies the code change, but svn commit says the repository file does not exist.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm View Post
    Hi,

I have almost the same problem. I created a repository, imported code, and checked it out to a working directory. Then I learnt about trunks, branches and tags, so moved all my files from root to /trunk. I made a change to a file in my working directory. svn diff correctly identifies the code change, but svn commit says the repository file does not exist.

Thanks
    Did you svn switch your working copy to the new URL?

Hello andyl,

No I had not, and clearly I had not read and understood your earlier reply. svn switch was just the command I was looking for, but had not registered it from reading the manual.

Many Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Malcolm