Thread: svn update for single file

svn update for single file

Hello -- Is it possible to use update to get a single file version from a repository and ignore other files? Would the command go something like: svn update -r 1951 filename.php

Please let me know if this will work and if it doesn't, how I might handle this need to rollback. Thank you!

Hi kktaus

Yes it is, assuming that your checkout isn't "sparse", i.e. you didn't specify a depth when you did the initial checkout. If you've done a sparse checkout, such that you have the parent directory but no files, then you'll need to "svn update" the parent directory while specifying a depth. Parameters for depth are only as fine-grained as "files", so you'll end up with all the files in the directory.

Cheers
    John
    John Niven

re: svn update for single file

Quote Originally Posted by JNiven
    Hi kktaus

Yes it is, assuming that your checkout isn't "sparse", i.e. you didn't specify a depth when you did the initial checkout. If you've done a sparse checkout, such that you have the parent directory but no files, then you'll need to "svn update" the parent directory while specifying a depth. Parameters for depth are only as fine-grained as "files", so you'll end up with all the files in the directory.

Cheers
    John
    The update of a single file worked for us. Thanks!

Now when I try to commit that file svn returns an error message saying that it is out of date. Any advice on how to proceed?

-Kathleen

assuming that you are committing only this file, the reason could be that you realy have an older version ( -r 1951 filename.php) in your working copy. Commit will need you to update your file to latest revision.
    Now...
    If you use svn update on this file you will get a conflict message something like this:
    Code:
    Conflict discovered in filename.php'.
    Select: (p) postpone, (df) diff-full, (e) edit,
            (mc) mine-conflict, (tc) theirs-conflict,
            (s) show all options:
    You need to resolve this and only after that you can proceed.

Sachidanand