Thread: How to connect TortoiseSVN to online svn server?

How to connect TortoiseSVN to online svn server?

Hi,

I just setup SVN on my dedicated server and now i want to be able to do commits through tortoise, but I'm not sure how to connect them. I have tortoise installed on windows and now what do I do? I right click in my explorer and the tortoise options come up and I click on repo-browser. All I get is the option to put in the URL, but no login and password. I'm quite lost here, can someone lead the way for me?

thanks,
    pat

in order to start using svn, you need to create a repository. You can even use TortoiseSVN to do this. You create an empty folder where you'd like your repository to go, then you right click the folder and select 'Create Repository Here'.

Once you've done that, you need to get a working copy of the contents of the repository. If you've just created the repository, the working copy will be empty, but that's not a problem. You'll just create your own files and commit them into the repository.

To create your working copy, you need to go to an empty folder where you want your working copy to be. Right-click that folder and choose 'SVN Checkout' Then put in the url of your repository. If your repository is local, your url would be something like file:///c:/path/to/repository

And by the way, you won't be asked for a password until subversion decides you need one, so first you must try to perform the action and then svn will prompt you for user and password if you need them.

For more information about how svn works, look at the online book. It's a great resource:
    http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by (ode$linger
    in order to start using svn, you need to create a repository. You can even use TortoiseSVN to do this. You create an empty folder where you'd like your repository to go, then you right click the folder and select 'Create Repository Here'.
    TSVN doesn't allow you to create a repository on a remote server, which is what the OP is asking how to do.

duckxtales, you will need to use svnadmin create while logged onto your server to create the bare repository, and configure an access method before you can attempt to connect from your TSVN client.

thanks..

yes my repo is on a remote server hosted under linux. Its currently created already using svnadmin create through the shell.

How do I go about configuring an access method so i can use TSVN client?

Quote Originally Posted by duckxtales
    thanks..

yes my repo is on a remote server hosted under linux. Its currently created already using svnadmin create through the shell.

How do I go about configuring an access method so i can use TSVN client?
    That could depend on a couple of things. If you're allowed to use the svn protocol in your shop, it could be as simple as starting the svnserve process as a daemon (using the -d option) on your server and accessing it via your URL. Your URL might then look something like this:

svn://username@servername/path/to/repository

But for security reasons you might be required to use the encrypted svn protocol, called svn+ssh. For that you need to set up a tunnel in your subversion workstation config file. That's a more complicated setup, so for now I'm going to just hope you can use the svn protocol.