Thread: Use Tortoise SVN behind a firewall

Use Tortoise SVN behind a firewall

A friend set up a Subversion server and I want to connect with the Tortoise SVN Client. But my internet service provider has a firewall so that the client isn't able to connect to the server.
    Is there any possibility to say Tortoise SVN that it should use port 80 to connect? Or is there another way to solve the problem? My provider can't deactivate the firwall, the reason I don't know

Thx

Is there somebody who can help me?

TortoiseSVN will use whatever port you tell it to use. By default, svn:// URLs are on port 3980, http:// on port 80, and ssh+svn:// on port 22 (SSH port).

You can't just "tell" your client to use any port, it has to be the port that the server is listening on (unless you've set up a tunnel). Serving repositories via HTTP is usually the easiest way to slip through a tight firewall (unless the firewall lets SSH through), but beware that some will block some of the HTTP methods required for Subversion to communicate to the server, even if you can make the initial connection.

Hi andyl. Isn't the svn port 3690? See http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers and that's where it shows up when I do a netstat -a (I'm guessing you just made a typo, but for historical accuracy of the forum ...

Depends on how your repository is served.. Ask your repository admin and your network admin.

How do I stop my firewall blocking torrents? I have installed uTorrent and am trying to download, but it says that my firewall is limiting traffic, and that I need to open a port. BUT I have ALREADY ticked it as an exception with Windows firewall, have added the program AND added a port with the corresponding number but it's made no difference. Help!

Quote Originally Posted by anindeeta
    How do I stop my firewall blocking torrents? I have installed uTorrent and am trying to download, but it says that my firewall is limiting traffic, and that I need to open a port. BUT I have ALREADY ticked it as an exception with Windows firewall, have added the program AND added a port with the corresponding number but it's made no difference. Help!
    Uh, what does this have to do with Subversion (a version control system)? Sounds like you need to ask on a Windows forum, or a forum dedicated to whatever Firewall it is you're running, or a Torrent forum.

Cheers
    John
    John Niven