Thread: Moving Code from Dev to Production

Moving Code from Dev to Production

Hi,

I posted this question in another forum which I think was the wrong forum to do so, so I am posting it here instead.

What are some of the ways to push code from dev to production? Is there a concept of a build/release? And is there a way that Subversion can do a push iteself ensuring that only files with changes are propagated into production as opposed to the whole application for example. I understand Subversion is not just solely designed for SCM, but can someone shed some light on the above.

Thanks,

-Westside

I don't think SVN has any build function.

It seem what you want to do is pull the stuff out of the repository with some combination of:

svn checkout https://server.com/stuff

and build what was pulled out with Ant or Maven.

Sorry, not much help, just my 2 cents.

Re: Moving Code from Dev to Production

Quote Originally Posted by Westside
    Hi,

I posted this question in another forum which I think was the wrong forum to do so, so I am posting it here instead.

What are some of the ways to push code from dev to production? Is there a concept of a build/release? And is there a way that Subversion can do a push iteself ensuring that only files with changes are propagated into production as opposed to the whole application for example. I understand Subversion is not just solely designed for SCM, but can someone shed some light on the above.

Thanks,

-Westside
    Hi,

Subversion alone is not able to support a promotion model.

Change Sets are available, what means revisions could be interpreted as such.

Before you establish a promotion model with Subversion you need some kind of logical bracket around bundling Change Sets to an entity which is pushed forward from state to state (stage to stage, depending what wording you prefer).

States themselves are also not part of Subversion and need to be build on top, similar to a workflow. Only specific roles are granted to trigger push into next stage.

My two EURO cents.

Best,
    Robert Neher, Polarion Software
    www.subversion.com
    www.polarion.org (SVN Converters, SVN Web Client, Subversive Eclipse/SVN client, SubTrain (Open Source SVN Trainings))
    www.polarion.com

...one addition for Subversion.

Promoting development base to production is done with tags in Subversion.

At any time when you feel your code in trunk reaches a stable state and something happens with it
    - deployment to customer
    - delivery to testers
    - release of a new version of your product
    - signaling a patch level
    - etc.

you create a tag.

Best,