Thread: Does Subversion keeps file history after move or rename?

Does Subversion keeps file history after move or rename?

Hi all!
    A very simple question.
    Is it possible to make Subversion keep file history after move or rename?

I've played around with a sample repository. And it appeared that the history got lost after the file was renamed or moved to another folder. I was using TortoiseSVN "Rename" and "Move versioned file" commands.
    After the operation completes, the log file contains only one message about file addition.

I extensively use code refactoring in my project, which is all about moves and renames.
    It is very disappointing to lose vital history information because of a file name or location changed.

Pasha

Hi,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by loosing history. If a file named A exists in revision 1 of the repository and you rename the file to B then file B exists in revision 2 of the repository, but file A still exists in revision 1 of the repository.

Hi!

Yes you are right, from the technical point of view A and B are two different files. But for me personally it is the same file. For me it looks very convenient to consider the rename as a regular file change. Just like contents modification.

I use Star Team at work. It copes with this issue pretty well.
    I can easily track back file modifications to the date of creation no matter was the file renamed or moved. This is the feature I want from Subversion.

Thanks for the answer!

I'm not sure what's going on with your test as Subversion does track history through file moves/renames/copies (I've just (re)confirmed that to myself using the command-line client). However, it must be done via an svn move, its synonym svn rename or svn copy. A simultaneous svn add and svn delete will break the history path. (Note that svn status' output is a little ambiguous for files so a svn move looks exactly how a svn add/delete would.)

Plus, "atomic renames" are "right arounf the corner".

Cheers, Mike5
    Miha Vitorovic
    Close the world, txEn eht nepO.

lmop, mike5, thanks somuch!
    Looks like this is a TortoiseSVN client problem...

Quote Originally Posted by repkin
    lmop, mike5, thanks somuch!
    Looks like this is a TortoiseSVN client problem...
    TSVN should handle it just fine as well. You're likely just missing a checkbox in the log dialog somewhere.

Much thanks, however I'm still stuck.
    I have done the following simple experiment with Tortoise SVN to check whether the thing works.
    I have a file a.txt and a folder F.
    Both are located at the same level of folder hierarchy and are synchronized to Subversion.
    Then I move a.txt to F, using TortoiseSVN command "SVN move versioned files here".
    Next I look up the log for a.txt.
    There is actually a special checkbox named "Hide unrelated changed paths". I uncheck it.
    And then I see the following lines in the bottom table:
    Added /trunk/F/a.txt
    Deleted /trunk/a.txt

Ok, now I want to look at the history for /trunk/a.txt.
    So I select /trunk/a.txt and choose "Show log" from the popup menu.
    And then I see the error message box that informs me that the file /trunk/a.txt was not found.
    This is how the story ends.
    I wasn't able to look at the history.

Is it possible that my TortoiseSVN base is broken?

That sounds right to me. If you're looking at the HEAD revision or your uncommitted working copy, there is no file trunk/a.txt anymore (because its /trunk/F/a.txt), and you can't view a log for something that doesn't exist at the revision you're looking at.

Try getting the log of F/a.txt

The log for /trunk/F/a.txt is poor it just contains a single record which tells that the file was removed and then added. However I wnat to see all the contents changes that were performed before the file was moved.

Thanks, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by repkin
    The log for /trunk/F/a.txt is poor it just contains a single record which tells that the file was removed and then added. However I wnat to see all the contents changes that were performed before the file was moved.
    Disable "stop on copy" and you'll get the full log.

Subversion keeps full history of a file when it's moved, you're just not looking for it properly.

Thank you so much, andyl, it works!! What a fool I am, it was so obvious. Sorry