Rename Repository

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andyl View Post
    Have you considered using a VCS better-suited to this type of setup, like Mercurial or Git?

But that still doesn't address the separation of personal vs. company.

The decision on SVN vs. GIT was not rigorously researched, SVN was probably the more familiar. Perhaps I need to research the benefits of GIT vs. SVN.

I appreciate all the input, the daily/weekly checkin to the two repositories does seem to work in practice, although the revision counts do not seem to jump contiguously,
    where the weekly repository jumps from say revision 1 to revision 5 for a single checkin, for which there is probably an explanation.

I recognize that during the weekly office checking, many individual changes are bundled into a less granular checking.

I consider this an interrum working solution until such a time that we establish VPN and utilize a singular repository.

Comment

Originally posted by bob2oneil View Post
      The decision on SVN vs. GIT was not rigorously researched, SVN was probably the more familiar. Perhaps I need to research the benefits of GIT vs. SVN.

I appreciate all the input, the daily/weekly checkin to the two repositories does seem to work in practice, although the revision counts do not seem to jump contiguously,
      where the weekly repository jumps from say revision 1 to revision 5 for a single checkin, for which there is probably an explanation.

I recognize that during the weekly office checking, many individual changes are bundled into a less granular checking.

I consider this an interrum working solution until such a time that we establish VPN and utilize a singular repository.
      The way you're working right now, I would really recommend you take a closer look at Mercurial, Git, or another DVCS. SVN may have been picked because that's what you know, but the way you're operating right now is much, much better suited to a DVCS.
      I am neither an employee nor customer of WANDisco.

Comment

Originally posted by mbooth View Post
        Also: Source control systems are not back up systems and Subversion should not be used as such. You would be wise to set up a separate back up process.
        Nah, as long as you've got the repository on a RAID5 volume, you don't need a separate backup. Right, guys?

Guys?

Anyone?
        I am neither an employee nor customer of WANDisco.

Comment

Just out of curiousity bob2oneil how many users currently use those repositories?

Comment

Working...
          X